Travelling overseas for the first time is an extremely exciting time, but it’s also easy to be overwhelmed. One thing’s for certain, we will be stepping out of our comfort zone. But if we prepare well enough, that’s all part of the fun!
Follow this top tips and make sure you’re first time overseas is unforgettable.
- Travel Insurance - Whilst travelling overseas is an exciting time, things can sometimes not go according to plan. Travel insurance is a must for any traveler. Make sure you do all your homework and choose an insurance policy that is best for you.
- Pack light - Don't buy new clothes before you go, take your old stuff and throw it out as you travel to make room for all the new things you will most likely buy.
- Photocopy all documents and make copies - Don't keep all your essential documents in the one folder in case you lose it. Photocopy all of your documents such as plane tickets, passport, visas, travel insurance, driving licence and make sure they are kept separate from the originals.
- Research - Any experienced traveler will tell you that it is important to do your homework before you leave. Do as much research as possible on your destination before you leave, from the climate to local customs and traditions.
- Turn off international roaming – Roaming charges can be very expensive and you could spend thousands of dollars without realizing it. Get a SIM card in the country or countries you are going to and save the agony of opening your bill when you get home.
- Get vaccinated - If you're planning to spend time in remote parts of the third world, it is essential that you contact your local travel health clinic before you go. Make sure you’re vaccinated against all possible diseases as your health is your most valuable travel accessory.
- Write it down - It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the new and exciting things you’re bound to experience your first time overseas. Have a small diary and makes notes of your favourite sites and how you felt that day. This will ensure you don’t forget your first time and is an excellent keepsakel.
- Enjoy! - Travelling is an exciting mix of emotions to it’s important to have fun, stay safe and enjoy every minute.